Sunday, February 21, 2010

Australian National Champions

I just got back from our last softball tournament in Canberra. After three final games of seeding play, we finished ranked number two going into the play-offs for the Gilley's Shield.  The shield is the pinnacle trophy for Australian Softball.  Western Australia last won the shield in 1959.

The first round of play-offs was the 1st ranked team (New South Wales) against the 2nd (us).  We beat NSW 1-0 in seven innings which sent us straight to the championship game the following day. NSW went on to play the winner of the 3rd vs. 4th ranked team. NSW won and came back to face us again on Sunday for the championship game.  It was a very tight game, we went 7 scoreless innings with them, then put two runs up in international tie breaker only to have them come back and hit a two-run homer to tie up the game again. However, in the 9th inning we pushed in a run and held them to clinch the Gilley's Shield! It was an unnervingly close game down to the final out.

It was amazing to be a part of such a huge win and a great team effort. This was a dream come true for my Australian teammates and I feel really lucky to be a part of the victory. So after 51 years, WA softball brought home the Gilley's Shield. I also received the best pitching award for the nation which is a big honor.  This has definitely been the perfect ending to my softball career.  I'm really lucky to exit on such a high note. Thanks to everyone back home, no matter how far away I am I always feel the support and love from my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment