Once in Perth our host family, Rick and Carolyn, suggested we pay a visit to the port city of Fremantle. One of the main sites of Fremantle is the old prison. I relayed my story of Thomas Hassett and how I had read that he was one of only 6 prisoners to ever escape. The story is well known and even served as one of the featured stories of the PBS series "Secrets of the Dead". Well, Rick being of Irish descent, and prone to some story telling of his own, was well aware of the story of the Fenians. Upon our arrival to the prison Rick immediately sought out an expert on the story. Within minutes a gentleman rushed up to me and said "are you the relative?". I explained my 2 facts (see above) and said that's all I know at the moment. It seems Brendan, our guide (who is an expert on the history of the Fenian escape aboard the Catalpa) was pretty sure I was a direct descendant of old Thomas. As we took the tour (directed by Brendan) he proudly pointed out to all my profound lineage. I even got to sit in the same cell as Thomas had once occupied. At the end of our tour pictures were taken with Brendan and I behind the wrought iron gates of the Fremantle prison. We exchanged contact information and I promised I would follow up with detail of my family tree. As it turns out we may not have the same Thomas in mind, however the options of some form of relationship (cousins, etc.) cannot yet be ruled out. I am now dedicating the rest of my life to solving this mystery. As Brendan said, if you are in fact a descendant, you will be the only one of the 6 escapees relatives to have ever come back to the prison. I just hope he doesn't reserve a permanent cell for me if my story doesn't check out ! I'm just sticking by my 2 facts.
- Paul Hassett (guest blogger)
Editor's note : Mr. Hassett does freelance writing every year at Christmas, known as the Hassett Christmas letter.
Briana preparing to be flogged (as Thomas Hassett once was)
No comments:
Post a Comment